Spouse Visas from India

There are many questions asked regarding spouse visas– How much time is required for this process? How to apply? How long is the process? What are the funds and documents required?

There is a concurrent visa policy in Canada that provides an opportunity to apply for students and dependent visas (Spouses and children) together.



A student can apply for a student visa, their spouse visa, and their children(if any) at the same time with his/her application. You can apply for the same under some conditions:

  • Those people should apply whose marriage is at least one year old.
  •  You have adequate documents related to your marriage, marriage certificate, and photographs of the marriage ceremony.
  • You should have ongoing proof of your relationship if you are living in the same house and trying to collect some proofs so that they can match your proof.
  • You should have adequate funds. Funds depend on your student(spouse) course period.
  • If you have children and you want to include the files as well then their birth certificate is a mandatory document that you need.

So, these were the important documents needed for the application for a spouse visa.

According to the system, the first student visa will be approved then a spouse visa will be approved. These were some things for this particular application you had to understand and this is the only time-consuming process. So, apply early and don’t sit for the last moment.

Requirements for the application

  1. Demonstrating your relationship to your partner: A list of documents that can be used to verify your relationship with your spouse is provided by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada(IRCC), including:

(a) a completed “Relationship information and Sponsorship Evaluation” section of the IMM 5532 questionnaire
(b) a marriage license and evidence that the union was officially registered with a government body.
(c) if your spouse has a divorce record, you must provide it.
(d) long-term birth certificates or adoption paperwork with the names of both parents are required if you share children.
(e) photographs and wedding invites

  1. Couples must additionally present from at least two of the following sources:

(a) Evidence of shared ownership of a home
(b) Rental agreement demonstrating that the couple is a resident of the same home
(c) Evidence of shared bank accounts, credit cards, or utilities(such as power, gas, telephone, and the internet)
(d) The couple’s shared address has been listed on their auto insurance policy, according to the policy.
(e) A piece of official identification(such as a driver’s licensee) bearing the same address.
(f) Various other records providing the pair shares a residence (such as phone bills, pay stubs, tax records, etc.)

  1. Demonstrating your partnership with your partner Additionally, the IRCC provides a list of documents that can be used as proof of your connection with your spouse, among them:

(a) a completed “Relationship Information and Sponsorship Evaluation” section of the IMM 5532 questionnaire
(b) Proof of divorce from a prior spouse, if either party was previously wed a completed IMM 5519 form if one of the partners has been in common-law union with another person.
(c) If the couple shares children, long-form birth certificates with both parents’ names.

  1. Photographs of the pair, Couples must additionally provide sets of documentation from each of the following categories(or a written justification if you are unable to submit evidence from two or more of these categories):

(a) Documents attesting to the couple’s status as common-law partners(such as employment or insurance benefits)
(b) Evidence of the couple’s shared costs or financial support.
(c) Evidence that friends and/or family are aware of the connection(letters, social media information showing the relationship is public)

  1. The pair must present proof of at least two of the following sets of documents if they are cohabitating:
    (a) Evidence of the couple’s shared ownership of a home, or a rental agreement providing they live there.
    (b) A record of shared utility accounts(such as electricity, gas, telephone, internet)
    (c) Dual bank accounts or credit cards
    (d) The couple’s shared address has been listed on their auto insurance policy, according to the policy.
    (e) A piece of official identification(such as a river’s licensing the same address).

Other records provided to the couple that demonstrate (such as cell phone bills, pay stubs, financial statements, tax records, insurance policies, etc.)

  1. If the couple is not now cohabitating, they must provide proof that they were previously cohabitating for at least a year by doing the following:
    (a) Evidence indicating they have communicated with each other through letters, written text messages, emails, social media posts, or their papers. There shouldn’t be more than 10 pages in this.
    (b) Passport photocopies with stamps and airline tickets or boarding cards are proof that the Canadian citizen or Permanent resident has visited their partner.
    (c) When filling out the IMM 5532 questionnaire, the sponsored person must explain if visits were not made(Part C, question 4).

Get Free Counselling

Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.